75100385

i got arrested 5 years a going with a gram of cocane, will

i got arrested 5 years a going with a gram of cocane, will this stop me entering the USA on a family holiday this september, if so is there anything i can do ?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was it simple possession, rather than supply?

Customer:

possession

Alex Watts :

ok. You are asked on the ESTA whether you have been arrested or convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude.

Alex Watts :

Possession is NOT so you can tick no

Alex Watts :

However you are also asked if you have ever been arrested for an offence involving a controlled substance.

Alex Watts :

Here the answer is yes

Alex Watts :

However there is no formal conviction sharing agreement of minor offences between the USA and the UK

Alex Watts :

Therefore even if you did tick no, it is unlikely the immigration officers would ever find out unless you volunteered it.

Alex Watts :

Many thousands of people go to the USA every year that do not disclose minor convictions

Alex Watts :

Obviously I can tell you to do this, but bearing in mind what I have said, its a mater for you whether you declare it as someone is unlikely to find out.

Alex Watts :

If you do declare it you will need to apply for a visa and attend an interview in London where there is no guarantee you would be granted one

Alex Watts :

Customer: