75100385

We have rented property with fireplace powered by gas cylinder.

We have rented property with fireplace powered by gas cylinder. According to your renting agreement we have ordered refilling of the cylinder, we did this. Left fireplace in perfectly running state.
Now estate agent trying to charge us for checking that (email from agent below), they asked for £60 + vat as they say is a legal requirement to check after gas cylinder replacement.

What should we do in this case as we do not agree. Is it really required by UK law?

We also note that following disconnection of the gas fire, you were advised
in a previous e-mail that as the tenant you would be liable for replacement
of the gas bottle and re-connection of the gas fire at the end of tenancy.
We note you have replaced the gas bottle, to which we were advised no
receipt can be provided, however the fire has had to be re-tested and
re-connected as legally required by law. Accordingly, the cost for
re-connection of the fire will be £60.00 plus vat.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

To be clear, it does not say anything about a charge in the agreement in relation to this please?

Customer:

This is what I found in the agreement "the tenant agrees to: XXXXX XXXXX reconnection of water, gas (..) if disconnection results from any act or omission of the tenant or the tenants agents. the landlord is not responsible for any connection charges if the services are not currently connected."

Alex Watts :

OK - but this has not happened?

Customer:

Just to highlight fireplace using gas cylinder. Ive order cylinder replacement by http://www.flogas.co.uk/ and provided them with receipt

Customer:

flogas simply replaced filled cylinder

Alex Watts :

Yes. I understand.

Customer:

when we gave keys back fireplace was connected in working order,

Alex Watts :

Its just changing one gas bottle for another, right?

Customer:

yes exactly

Alex Watts :

Ok -well you dont have to pay it

Alex Watts :

Its absurd to think you have to pay them £60 every time you change a bottle.

Alex Watts :

What that clause refers to is if there is a disconnection or you tamper with the gas etc

Alex Watts :

So no, you dont have to pay

Alex Watts :

Customer:

How can i convince them to not to charge me?

Alex Watts :

They can try and charge but you refuse to pay

Customer:

Im convinced they will try to hold our depoit because of this

Alex Watts :

Yes but you can sue for that when you leave.

Alex Watts :

It simply can't be the case you are liable for a £60 for having a gas bottle changed

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/