How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69997
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Dear Sir/Madam I have a neighbour who has move his fence

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam

I have a neighbour who has move his fence slicing off just under a foot of land from front to back of what I believe is my garden. In doing so he has at on part cut through the roots of a tree and has now forced another part of the fence up against another tree the limbs of which he has now cut and kept.

I have tried to get the deeds and plan of the property to see the measurements but cannot see any measurements as such. The plan edges the garden in read but given no measurements that I can readily see.

I have had numerous low level nuisance ever since I moved here.

I would like to have these issues sorted out as I believe it is now amounting to harassment.

I would be grateful for any advice as to the way forward especially on the boundary issues.

Yours faithfully

P Powell
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I need to know how to get the actual measurement of the garden and what I can do about the neighbours actions?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have not received the answer yet.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
There is no way of getting the actual measurements from the Land Registry plans. The width of the boundary line on the plan when put on the ground to scale is about 6 inches wide.

You can seek a temporary injunction to stop him doing anything on the site pending resolution of the boundary issue.

At this stage in time if he is not proposing any new work there is no point in applying for an emergency injunction but what you would do is apply to court for an injunction to make him move the fence but in order to do that, you are going to need some proof of where the fence should be

He is not allowed to keep the branches which he cuts off but should give them back to you if you want the trouble of disposing of them.

If he keeps them, that is theft and it is a police matter.

With regard to where the boundary should be if you have no access to the original builders plans the only way of determining where it should actually be is to get a surveyor to provide a report. The report will be based upon existing features on the ground, physical evidence, any existing plans which are available, and the land registry plan.

He will then give a report which will say where, in his opinion, the correct boundary should be.

If there is going to be an argument over this with the neighbour it would make sense if you were agreed a joint survey between you and agreed to be jointly responsible for the costs and also agreed to be bound by what the survey said.

Expect the surveyor's opinion to cost about £600 plus VAT. At least, that will save you what could be tens of thousands of pounds in potential court costs

If you have house insurance and buildings insurance it may have legal expenses cover that would pay for the legal costs of dealing with this. Check your policy therefore and if you have legal expenses cover, refer this to your insurance company.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69997
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice