tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I jointly own a property with my mother who is now in full

I jointly own a property with my mother who is now in full time care. We bought the property 50/50 twenty years ago. The LA has put a charge (50% of the value) against the property which I have agreed to and this will be due to them when it is sold. I intend however to move in myself one day which is why I bought it 50/50 and so am renting it out at the moment. Is the LA due half the rent as it is me who pays all bills, maintenance, tax etc on the property rental and i can't see practically how they would pay half of the tax, repairs etc indeed I am about to spend 2K on replacement fascias as the present ones are dangerous and falling down and if they were to require half the rental income surely they should pay half of any repairs. They have not asked me for any rental income but I would like to be clear as to my position
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

No, they would not be entitled to rental income etc. If they put a charge on the house, it simply works like a mortgage, in the sense that it secures their financial interest by making sure when the property is sold, that they get the money due them. It would not entitle them to rental income or any other interest in the house.

tdlawyer :

Are you there?

Customer:

That is all I wanted to know thank you