How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70114
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can a landlord raise my rent by £155 pcm with just 5 weeks

Customer Question

Can a landlord raise my rent by £155 pcm with just 5 weeks notice?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with my landlord. I have been a resident at the property for 10 years paying a rent of £595.00. It was originally in the joint names of me and my husband but in November 2012 it was written with me in my sole name. On 2 April I received a letter from Jacobs Steel , who say that they are taking over the management and my new rent would be £750 from 13 May 2013.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
When does the AST end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was dated, in my sole name, commencing 21/11/12 for six months. nothing renewal received since this. So I assume you mean 21 may 2013.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is right.

In that case, its bad news. He is free to raise your rent.

What he cannot do is raise your rent during an AST fixed term. That would a breach of the AST and unlawful.

Also, he has to give you notice of the increase on a date that would allow you to give notice if you wanted to. If he has given you five weeks notice then that is a sufficient for a tenant on an AST to give notice.

If the increase is unacceptably high then you can complain to the rent assessment committee which would consider whether its reasonable for the area though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help. As you say, not the answer I hoped for I still think an increase of £150 is unacceptable at such short notice, I will try and negotiate a lesser amount as the £150 will put me in real hardship. It seems that the landlord is protected more than the tenant! What's new!

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, you are free to give notice and leave or you can stay and complain to the rent assessment committee.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

Related Law Questions