12826847

Can a landlord raise my rent by £155 pcm with just 5 weeks

Customer Question

Can a landlord raise my rent by £155 pcm with just 5 weeks notice?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with my landlord. I have been a resident at the property for 10 years paying a rent of £595.00. It was originally in the joint names of me and my husband but in November 2012 it was written with me in my sole name. On 2 April I received a letter from Jacobs Steel , who say that they are taking over the management and my new rent would be £750 from 13 May 2013.

When does the AST end?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was dated, in my sole name, commencing 21/11/12 for six months. nothing renewal received since this. So I assume you mean 21 may 2013.

Yes, that is right.

In that case, its bad news. He is free to raise your rent.

What he cannot do is raise your rent during an AST fixed term. That would a breach of the AST and unlawful.

Also, he has to give you notice of the increase on a date that would allow you to give notice if you wanted to. If he has given you five weeks notice then that is a sufficient for a tenant on an AST to give notice.

If the increase is unacceptably high then you can complain to the rent assessment committee which would consider whether its reasonable for the area though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help. As you say, not the answer I hoped for I still think an increase of £150 is unacceptable at such short notice, I will try and negotiate a lesser amount as the £150 will put me in real hardship. It seems that the landlord is protected more than the tenant! What's new!

Well, you are free to give notice and leave or you can stay and complain to the rent assessment committee.