13262538

Father-in-law, died 2008, leaving a joint will, which left

Customer Question

Father-in-law, died 2008, leaving a joint will, which left all to his widow.
All monies were in joint accounts, house paid for, etc. Probate was not obtained.
He also left a number of share certificates, which have been left idle since the death.
My mother-in-law, died 2012, leaving the estate to my wife, for which I obtained probate, with no problems. On rediscovering the share certificates, I realise there was no probate, which they require. Is it possible to obtain probate now, on his estate, to enable the shares to be transfered to their daughter ?
What is the value of the Shares?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are four different companies shares, all not large.

The maximum is £3,500-00 of one company.

Total value approximately £ 7,600-00.

Will the Probate certificate of my mother-in-law be sufficient, or do I have to obtain a probate of my father-in-law, who died 6 years ago, leaving all his estate to his wife.

It is worth writing to each of them and explaining that there was no need to Obtain Probate and ask if there is anyway of dealing with the Transfer of the shares under any procedures they have to deal with Small Estates
They do not have to agree - but they may be willing to do so
If not then as Executor for your Mother in law you can also apply for the Probate of your Father in laws estate in order that you can deal with the Shares
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was concerned at the length of time from his death until now, together with the complete estate, apart from the shares, having been settled when his wife died.. I obtained probate, by using the expert advice of a person like yourself on-line. This looks a little more difficult.

Once again, thank you.

Peter.

have faith in yourself!
The only complication is that you are applying because you are the Executor of the person who should have applied - otherwise it is the same process as before