tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi, At the moment i am in dispute with my land lady over a

Hi, At the moment i am in dispute with my land lady over a storage unit. I gave up the tenancy at the end of march 2014 and still owe £1200 in rent. To show good will i offered to leave over a £1000 pounds of equipment with her until i had paid the arrears. My problem is that my wives car is stored at this unit and the land lady is now refusing my wife access for removal of her car. I had arranged to meet with the land lady on Friday to pay off some of my outstanding dept. on arrival i discovered that access to the unit was blocked by a large van and after waiting for 45 mins the land lady did not turn up.

Many Thanks

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Did you agree to leave the car with her as a form of security until the rent etc. was paid off?

Customer:

No as it belongs to my wife

tdlawyer :

I see, and the agreement with the landlord was only between you and the landlady?

Customer:

Yes the agreement was only between myself and the landlord

tdlawyer :

Was the rental of the property itself between you and the landlady only?

Customer:

Yes it was

tdlawyer :

Okay, then it sounds like there is no right to retain the car as a lien towards the rent owed. Ultimately, this can only happen over property of the person that owes money, i.e. you.

Customer:

Ok how would i approach the landlady over this

tdlawyer :

Get your wife to send her a letter insisting she be allowed her vehicle back. If she refuses, then I would contact the police first (although they might be little help), and then if necessary, she would issue proceedings in the county court seeking delivery up of her vehicle.

tdlawyer :

She would have to complete an N1 Claim Form to do this from her local county court. Or she could download one here: http://justclaim.co.uk/court-forms/N1-claim-form.html

Customer:

Thank you very much for the advice

tdlawyer :

You're more than welcome. Is there anything else you would like me to address for you?

Customer:

No that all for now thanks again

tdlawyer :

tdlawyer :

Can I just ask whether you're happy with the service this afternoon?

Customer:

Very happy happy thank you

tdlawyer :

Thank you - have a great weekend.