75100385

can i sue my sisters for slander , to cut a long story short

can i sue my sisters for slander , to cut a long story short , my mum has short term memory loss, early onset alzheimers which caused her to move back into the property that she co-owns with my younger sister , yet another sister is her official carer . they have both said to my face that i upset my mother every time that i visit her . this has been said to my mothers neighbour, also to other members of the family , i.e my nephews and nieces and culminated last year when i visited my mother and my 21 year old nephew told me i could not have aany privacy with my mum , as i always upset her when i see her . This was stated in front of his girlfriend , my daughter and my younger sister who was on a visit from America

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What was actually said please/

Customer:

we weer having quite an amicable visit , i had not had much conversation with my mum as i was just drawing comfort from seeing her , the previous evening my daughter and i had picked up my late husbands ashes , and to be fair my younger sister had just travelled over 3000 miles , not only to support me , but also to visit with mum . After about 30 minutes or so , my daughter got to her feet approached my nephew Matthew and his girlfriend Zoe and made a shepherding movement with her arms and said "come on guys , lets go outside and leave my mum and Wendy on their own with Nanna for a while" Matthew folded his arms and planted his feet squarely on the floor, and said "that is never going to happen , my mum has left instructions to this as she , meaning me, always upsets Nanna when she speaks with her "

Customer:

just had a thought would it help if i sent you you a copy of the first letter i sent as it gives a wider picture as to what is happening

Alex Watts :

Its good and bad news.

Alex Watts :

The good news is that you could sue for slander.

Alex Watts :

The bad news is that it is very costly and long process

Alex Watts :

You need around £15,000 to spend and you wont get legal aid.

Alex Watts :

You need to issue proceedings in the High Court and use a specialist Solicitor and Barrister. This is because of the court rules.

Alex Watts :

This will be a jury trial

Alex Watts :

If you win then you could claim the costs back from the other side

Alex Watts :

If you lose you are responsible for their costs. So your overall expose is £30,000

Alex Watts :

The proceedings are very specialist and are not guaranteed.

Alex Watts :

A Solicitor letter from a local high street one may do the trick

Alex Watts :

But sadly not many people do issue proceedings because it is so complex and expensive

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/