UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I was asked to bury an electrical cable underground. I excavated

I was asked to bury an electrical cable underground. I excavated to about half a metre and then laid the wire. The wire were later connected by an electrician The owner told me not to worry about red tape, so I just covered it with soil. I later found out that I should have put warning tape over the wire. Is the warning tape a legal requirement?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 provide as follows:

Excavations and depth of underground cables

14. (1) Every underground cable shall be kept at such depth or be otherwise protected so as to avoid, so far as is reasonably practicable, any damage or danger by reason of such uses of the land which can be reasonably expected.

(2) In addition to satisfying the requirements of paragraph (1), an underground cable containing conductors not connected with earth shall be protected, marked or otherwise indicated so as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that any person excavating the land above the cable will be given sufficient warning of its presence.

(3) The protection, marking or indication required by paragraph (2) shall be made by placing the cable in a pipe or duct or by overlaying the cable at a suitable distance with protective tiles or warning tape or by the provision of such other protective or warning device, mark or indication, or by a suitable combination of such measures, as will be likely to provide an appropriate warning.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I was aware of the recommendations but just wanted to find out whether it was a legal requirement to provide the warning tape as the wire is now laid.

Yes, the Regulations are law.

All the best