12826847

Hi, I recently moved home and when I signed the new rental

I recently moved home and when I signed the new rental contract the new landlord ran a credit check with Experian (which was ok). A few days later I received a bill from Thames Water (at the old address) with my name on it: I phoned them and discovered that they got my name from Experian and they simply decided to put my name on an old unpaid bill. I told Thames Water clearly (I also emailed them) that I was a tenant in the old place and all water bills were paid by the landlord and gave them his mobile number but they keep pestering me.
I only had a verbal agreement with the old landlord (i.e. no written contract): what can I do to stop all this?
Gloria

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is this the bill from a old house or the new house?

Is it the bill from the new house for the period before you moved in?

Who put your name on the unpaid bill?

Have you sent the water company a copy of the tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

The bill is from an old house for a period when I was living there. But I would pay my rent to the landlord and he would pay the water bills, i.e. water bills where included in the rent.

Apparently Thames Water put my name on the unpaid bill and they got my name from Experian (the credit check company used by my new landlord when I moved to the new place).

Unfortunately I don't have any tenancy agreement for the old place, it was a verbal agreement.

I gave Thames Water my old landlord's mobile number to sort this issue out, but they still call me.

Gloria

How long did you live in the previous property for?

Is it just the final bill which the landlord is refusing to pay?

Why is he refusing to pay it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo,
I lived in that old place for nine years, from October 2004 to December 2013.
The unpaid bill was for a quarter in 2011.
My old landlord informed me that all bills have been paid and he told me to provide Thames Waters with his mobile number and the name of the person in charge of the bills. And I did so.

I don't understand why Thames Water keeps calling me and why Experian gave them my name.

Do not try to deal with this on the telephone. At least, by all means deal with it on the telephone do follow everything up in writing and send it by recorded delivery.

Tell them that unless they resolve this and stop pestering you, you will make a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Give the landlord's details (again) and address and telephone number and point out that all the bills before that since 2004 and all the bills up until December 2013 were paid for by the landlord.

If they do not reply within the next 21 days, or they continue to write to you without having dealt with your correspondence, then complain to the Ombudsman.

Here is the link to the Ombudsman service http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/consumerissues/complaints/