Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

could you please tell me the difference between ppi and mpi,

could you please tell me the difference between ppi and mpi, I have been paying mpi for several years am I entitled to claim this back
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

Alex Hughes :

My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What are you paying MPI for?

Alex Hughes :

Do you still require help with this?

Customer:

morgage with what was alliance and leicester bank and now is santander

Alex Hughes :

I think you mean MPPI - Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance which comes under the PPI umbrella, although it is classed as a separate product. MPPI will pay out if you cannot meet your mortgage repayments as a result of being unable to work. MPPI will pay out for a given time period - usually 12 months although some products extend to 24 months.

Customer:

I was a Lighthouse Keeper and was never worried about payment as \\i got paid when on sick. I am now 76 years of age my morgage finishes in 3 years

Alex Hughes :

If you are unhappy with your MPPI you should first complain to Santander. If you are unsatisfied with the response you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I cannot say whether you can claim this back - it depends on how the policy was sold and your circumstances at the time. When you complain an assessment will be carried out of your circumtances to decide whether the policy was sold correctly or not.

Customer:

Thank you for the info

Alex Hughes :

My pleasure. Can I assist any further?