Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I, ve leased a hairsalon for 7yrs , & its has very bad damp

I, ve leased a hairsalon for 7yrs , & its has very bad damp & mould, that my landlord wont deal with. what can I do ?
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Do you have a copy of the lease and have you checked the landlords obligation about repair?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do have a copy, it doesnt mention anything about repairs to the building

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

The usual position is that the TENANT is liable for keeping the property insured and in a state of good repair and this includes decorating.

But if the lease is unclear about this you might be able to argue that the landlord should pay.

Your best option is to obtain a couple of estimates to get the the work done and write to the landlord and ask him to pay for the work. If he refuses you have an option to make a claim against him. A court would then have to determine whether its his responsibility or not.