tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi Jo, Thanks for your answers the other day. My next

Customer Question

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your answers the other day.

My next question is, i was in a relationship with a lady who is now deceased. Before she died she gave my company an amount of £50,000 as a loan but my company is no more in business. I have asked th companies house to strike in out inceit has not been tradingfor the past 1 year. Her family have gone to court demanding the money from me even though the money was paid to a company that i was a Director.
My question is can i be held personally for the loan even when the money was paid to a compny?

Ekow.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

Thanks for your responds. Yes i am willing to wait for an expert to give me a professional advice to my question.

Kind regards,

Ekow.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still willing to wait for an expert to answer me.

Ekow.

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi thanks for your question. My name is Tony and I can help with this.

If the loan was made to the the company only, then unless you had given a personal guarantee (which must be in writing or evidenced in writing to be legally enforceable), then this cannot be enforced against you. If you promised separately to pay the money back to her (which is now pursed by her estate) then they can enforce the personal promise to pay back. That would not need to be in writing, but I would imagine that unless it is, they would find it very difficult to persuade a court that is the case if your evidence is now the only evidence available as to what was said between you.

Tony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your answer. Can you please recommend a lawyer for?

Kind regards,

Ekow.

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ekow

This is a pretty straight-forward thing for a civil litigation lawyer. You should call around a few firms in your local area, ask to speak their litigation solicitors, then outline your issue and see if you feel comfortable working with them.

You don't need to spend significant money going to big city firms etc.

Hope this helps.

Tony