13262538

My nan passed away last week, we found a will in the house

Customer Question

My nan passed away last week, we found a will in the house but I'm certain that she's made another since.
When we take this will to a solicitor must they make searches for a more recent one
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

The solicitor should be informed of the fact that there may be a more recent Will and that they should search for one.

Hope this helps
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
There is no compulsory Central Registry of Wills which means that tracing a later Will is not easy.
You should search amongst all the papers to find any evidence of a solicitor having been instructed
It will also be cheaper if you phone all local solicitors rather than letting the solicitor do it as they will charge you for the privilege
Please ask if you need further details