Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my mother has recently died, she left around 6,000 pounds in

Customer Question

my mother has recently died, she left around 6,000 pounds in her bank accounts, me and my sister visited the bank and they informed us that they had legally, after us showing them the death certificate , got to close all the bank accounts, they did this immediately and transferred the money equally between ourselves, out of this we have paid all the funeral costs and some utility bills, we have found my mothers will and she has left all to my sister and myself, she has also left £1200 to be shared between her grandchildren(we have found this money in a tin ready to give to them)
she was in rented accomodation and has no other assets, have we done this correctly and do we still need to see the solicitor, my sisters husband who has help us with this is the executor of the will.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As your Mother left only a small Estate, you have done nothing wrong, in dealing with the Bank accounts and paying the funeral, provided your brother in law is happy with what you have done. As Executor, it really was his responsibility to close the accounts/pay the funeral, as Executor.

Likewise with the grandchildrens legacies, it is fine for you, with the blessing of your brother in law, to distribute these monies.

You certainly don't have to go and waste money on a Solicitor, and nor is there any other procedure you need to follow (Your Brother in law, as Executor, would only have been under a duty to obtain Probate if the Bank had requested this before closing the accounts.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL

Hi Angela,

Can I be of any further assistance to you?

Kind Regards

AL

Hi Angela,

Please let me know if I can assist further.

AL