Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Can I use money claim online to pursue an airline for compensation

Can I use 'money claim online' to pursue an airline for compensation for a party of five passengers delayed for 15hrs on a return flight from Turkey. I have been through the CAA procedure who have confirmed that my claim for compensation is valid. The airline refuse to pay and the CAA have stated that they are not an ombudsman service and unable enforce.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Could ypu tell me which airline this was and where the booking was made (e.g. England or Turkey).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX Airlines booked in the UK (Flight only)

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK.

You can certainly make a claim through the County Court to sue the airline.

The only problem with MCOL is that its for a fixed sum. So if you can quantify exactly what your losses are then you can use the system.

But if you are claiming compensation and you want the Court to assess how much you should be awarded then you cannot use MCOL.

Can I assist further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The advice leaflet EX302 page 5 indicates that you state upper limit on the amount you wish to recover and make a claim for an unspecified amount of money. Is this correct?

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Yes that's absolutely right.

I believe the going rate is £600 per passenger for a delay of more than 4 hours.

So for five people, including incidental costs, the claim is probably worth up to £5,000.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Simon

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes