UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of Kumon Education Centres

Customer Question

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of Kumon Education Centres' Instructor, running my Kumon Education Centre under the Franchise Agreement and with Full licenses in Maths and English programs. Neither in the License Certificates nor in the text of the Franchise Agreement there is an expiry date of the licenses. However, our head office regularly threatens Instructors to take away their licenses. Is it just a threat? Are there existing regulations allowing a Franchisor to take away Franchisee's licenses for which special fees have been paid and all the other requirements fulfilled? Thank you. Elena
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It may well be a threat, or it may not.

The licence would end if the franchise agreement with you is terminated e.g. If you are in material breach of the franchise agreement. There are no special regulations, it would depend on which law is applicable to the agreement, whether termination is covered in the agreement and the reasons for termination.

See this case which involved a Kumon franchise dispute in the US and how it was settled

http://franchiselawblog.net/?p=378

Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! So, do I understand correctly: when they say "we'll take away your license", they really mean that they will terminate the contract?

Yes, correct.