UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I have a question in relation to employment. A friend of

Hi, I have a question in relation to employment. A friend of mine, who is from another country, was recently working for a hospitality business. The company provided him the contract. They asked him to sign it in front of them - there was no offer from the company of any question if he understood the contract or if there was anything he needed to understand. The contract was in English. His mother tongue is not English, and he has a lot of difficulty trying to understand it. Is it legal for the company to request him to sign a contract immediately, in front of them - without the person receiving time to understand the contract?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

It is not illegal for them to do so, but there is an argument that the contract is not binding as your friend may argue that he did not understand what he was signing and had no intention to be bound by it. Intention is very important here and there must be a "meeting of the minds" which is clearly not there is your friend did not understand what he was doing or signing up to.

Hope this helps