Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am being pursued for a debt that I do not acknowledge thats

I am being pursued for a debt that I do not acknowledge thats dates from October 1996. I have just started to receive regular calls from a company called Portfolio Recovery Associates, I have told them that this has nothing to do with me even though they allege that I signed an agreement. Can I write to them with regards XXXXX XXXXX this matter statute barred under the limitations act (1980) ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

You can tell them that they are statute barred under the Limitations Act 1980 if the debt is older than 6 years you have not acknowledged it and they have not chased you for it for 6 years.

I would write to them and say that given the age of the debt their behaviour is potentially unlawful as it amounts to harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. Say to them that if they continue to chase you, you will report to the police and will be reporting them to Trading Standards as well.

Make sure you do this in writing and keep a record of when they chase you.

AJ