29905560

My wife is being bullied at work during a disciplinary procedure

My wife is being bullied at work during a disciplinary procedure to the extent that seeing her in the state that she is in has resulted in me having to take certified time of work and to be prescribed drugs by my GP to help control my pulse.

Can I seek formal redress against her employer for my resulting health issues?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I am afraid you are highly unlikely to be able top take any action against her employer for the issues you have suffered as a result. There is going to be an issue with proving causation and remoteness of damage - it is simply not reasonably foreseeable for the employer to be held liable for every person they may have affected due to their treatment of one person. The person on the receiving end of all this )your wife) will have her own rights against them, but you are very unlikely rto be able to bring your own claim against them, because you have been affected by the way she has reacted to this

Customer:

Is there nothing in law such that "spouse" has a different status to "every person". Hence, the person who has had to bear the brunt of this (excepting her) has some form of status in law?

Ben Jones :

It does not matter whether you are the spouse, brother, father, etc - this is about remoteness of damages - there is just not a sufficient link to show that the issues you are experiencing are reasonably foreseeable in the circumstances and I can tell you now that you will find it very difficult to convince a court over this - there is nothing stopping you from making a claim of some sort but you are likely to spend time and money pursuing something which has no reasonable prospects of success - the rights here are for your wife to pursue as she is the one facing the situaiton

Customer:

Great, thanks very much.

Ben Jones :

you are welcome