tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi I was cycling through a car park which operates as a short

Customer Question

I was cycling through a car park which operates as a short cut for me, the car park has two lanes and cars parking on either side, they also have speed bumps so most cars go at a slow speed. As I was cycling I felt my back wheel was not working properly, I was looking forward and saw no cars for at least a good 20-30 feet, I looked down at my wheel and as I looked up I hit a car that had been reversing.

I was knocked off my bike but sustained only bruising and a bad elbow but was fine otherwise.

I fully understand that had I been watching the road I could have probably stopped in time. After getting up I asked the driver if his car was ok, he showed me a big scratch on the car bonnet and some dents on the front, left hand side. As my bike had flipped up into the air it must have landed on the front and dented and scratched the car. I exchanged details with the driver and he called me later that day and said it a garage had told him it would cost between £800-900 to repair.

He is asking me to pay this money and I am wondering if by law I am required to pay in full for the repairs.

I also need to buy a new bike so I am trying to find a solution to the problem. I have homeowners insurance and have been told that it might cover the payment. I have also been told that I had right of way and even though I wasn't watching the road fully that it is not 100% my fault.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Simon
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you accept that the accident was principally your fault?

JACUSTOMER-iwxvbmhh- :

Yes

tdlawyer :

Okay. Then I'm afraid it would be the case that you would be required to pay for the damage that you did to the car. This is one go the biggest problems for cyclists really and the fact that they're not insurered (often).

tdlawyer :

Most car owners would look to claim against their insurance, although they're often reluctant if they can avoid it because it counts as a claim against them and increases their policy premium.

JACUSTOMER-iwxvbmhh- :

Ok thank you for confirming

JACUSTOMER-iwxvbmhh- :

Also woul homeowners insurance cover it maybe.

tdlawyer :

Homeowners insurance is unlikely to cover it, but you should check, each policy is different and it depends on the policy wording.

tdlawyer :

Just give the home owner insurance company a call and see what they say.

JACUSTOMER-iwxvbmhh- :

Ok thank you for the help

tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Is there anything more I can help with? Are you happy with the service provided this afternoon?