bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

can you explain council tax regulations for single occupancy

Customer Question

can you explain council tax regulations for single occupancy of a home
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Have a look at 'Council Tax - GOV.UK,' any search engine will find it. It gives a simple step by step summary of Council Tax and how it works. Basically, if a single person occupies a dwelling they can claim a 25% discount from the tax. You can do no worse that have a look at this very useful guide to the tax.

Council Tax replaced the hated Community Charge, a Margaret Thatcher imposition on individuals which in itself replaced the old rates. Dwellings are placed in bands and the tax levied depends upon the banding. One has to be a bit careful. A customer I had many years ago had their house banded higher than every other similar house in the street. A letter to the District Valuer soon sorted it out, but just have a care.

There are, of course, a string of further exemptions, but to be fair unless you are a disabled, one legged, dwarf student, to quote my GP, they probably won't apply to you [joke; I am disabled!].

I hope I have been able to throw some light on your question.