75100385

So someone has posted a warning about me in a facebook group

So someone has posted a warning about me in a facebook group that is totally untrue. I have been removed from this group so I can not defend myself. They used my business facebook page as the waning image and this also included a picture of my wife. Can I sue them?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What has been said please?

Customer:

Basically after a thread discussion there was a warning posted on the group saying I had been agressive and abusive towards the admin. I am a photographer so you can imagine the damage this has done to my reputation on FB where I get both models and weddings.

Customer:

I do have transcripts of everything

Alex Watts :

This is not a public forum though?

Customer:

It is an a private group with about 200 members in it

Alex Watts : It's a warning to a private group saying you had been aggressive?
Customer:

Yes, they have accused me of being abusive and aggressive.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Alex Watts :

As this is not a public forum then sadly no there is nothing you can do

Alex Watts :

This is because it is not available for view of the general public

Alex Watts :

Even if it was a public forum there would be nothing you can do

Alex Watts :

This is because a person is entitled to their opinion. This is called what is known as 'fair comment'

Alex Watts :

If they had said you were a thief or had raped someone and it was untrue that would be different

Alex Watts :

But because someone says that you have been aggressive, sadly is not enough to sue

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No, thank you Alex. That is all I need. Thanks again