12826847

Hi I have recd a notice for a court appearance from the DVLA.

Customer Question

I have rec'd a notice for a court appearance from the DVLA. The notice of penalty is Section144a. The statement of fact is that I was the registered keeper of an uninsured motor vehicle.

The above is true except the car in question has not moved for six months its on a private drive on a private road. I think I am guilty of not sending a sorn back.

Any words of advice on how to proceed ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I am looking for advice on how to approach this notification. Should I plead guilty ? If so what would be the typical consequences ?.

Or can I challenge ?

I presume you mean S144a RTA 1988 here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/144A

and if you have kept a car either on or off road without SORN or insurance then you don't have a challenge I'm afraid.

It only carries a fine.

It used to be that you could keep a vehicle off road if it was not insured but under the new requirement of continuous insurance you have to keep it insured either on or off road unless SORNed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo.

Does it count as a criminal conviction ? and or will I get any points ?

Also, it is quoted as a level 3, do you have any idea much the fine would typically be ?

Rgds

Yes, it does but not one that has any real impact on your character.

It carries 6-8 points or a potential ban but they will only give you 6 points.

A level three fine is a statutory maximum of £1k and a guidelines of between 125-175% of your weekly income. There will also be costs of £85 and the victim surcharge of roughly 10% of the fine.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/