UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am an author working on the biography of someone who died

I am an author working on the biography of someone who died in 1984, abroad, possibly in Bolivia. I need a copy of his death certificate to access various UK and US records but he was not registered dead in the UK and the Bolivian authorities have no record. I believe it is possible to have someone legally declared dead after 7 years. Could you tell me if this *is* possible and if so how much would it cost, please?
regards
andy
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, under the Presumption of Death Act 2013, you may apply for a declaration that the person is presumed to be dead on the grounds that the person is thought to be dead or was last seen alive at least 7 years ago.

However, the person must have been domiciled in England and Wales or habitually resident here for a at least 1 year.

See here for the Act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/13/2013-03-26

Applying for such a declaration should cost a few hundred pounds if using a solicitor.

Hope this helps