UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi ,I am opening a cafe and takeaway business and would like

Hi ,I am opening a cafe and takeaway business and would like to know the insurance that I have to take in order for the business to be allowed to operate. I am renting the business premises. Thank you
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If you have employees, it is mandatory to have Employers Liability Insurance for at least 5M.

It is advisable but not mandatory to also have Public Liability and Product Liability Insurance as essential to protect you from claims from customers or visitors to your premises (e.g. slips, trips and falls) and product liability in event event that say people get food poisoning.

You may then have additional insurance to cover you for employee theft (e.g. pilfering from the tills, loss of money, goods in transit, stock cover, business interruption, fixtures and fittings etc.

You may use a single insurer to cover you for all of the above or different insurers although it makes sense to get everything covered under one roof.

e.g. see here:

http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/insurance/cafe-insurance/

Hope this helps