LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My car was issued with the wrong number plates when I bought

My car was issued with the wrong number plates when I bought it from a dealership and I have been driving it for a year illegally. The renewal of my tax disc made the error apparent.
2 letters on the plate were the wrong way round. The dealership rectified their mistake in about an hour. They actually made new plates and came round to my house and replaced them. This makes me believe it is a serious offence in the UK.
Should I persue any sort of compensation claim as they told me another car had this number plate too. In other words if the police had stopped me for any reason I assume
My car would have been taken away as to them it would need to be an entirely different model.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Am I right in thinking that you have not actually suffered any losses as result of the dealership's mistake?

Customer: As far as I know there have been no losses. However I cannot say if the other car with the number plate has received any speeding tickets , for instance , as if a camera had photographed me they would have got the bill and points deduction.
LondonlawyerJ :

If, as seems to be the case you have not suffered any loss (indeed you suggest a way in which you may have been saved money and possibly penalty points!) then there is no claim to be made in law. The point of compensation is to compensate you for losses suffered. There is of course no reason why you can not write to the dealership expressing your concern and explaining how upsetting you have found the whole situation of being exposed for a long period of time to potential difficulties with the law. You could take the opportunity to ask if there is trade body you can complain to if you want.

LondonlawyerJ :

This would of course just be trying it on but if they care about their reputation they may offer something.

Customer: Would there be any phrases that might be useful to use in a letter to the dealership?
Customer: Also do I need a letter from them to cover me in case of any problems?
LondonlawyerJ :

I old think a letter explaining their error might be helpful just in case something comes up. I don't think there are any magic phrases to use just explain the history of it, thank them for fixing the plate but then tell them how worrying you find it that you have been driving round displaying the wrong plates. That this has left you vulnerable to prosecution (hence you want the letter) and continues to cause you worry and distress. Invite them to suggest ways they can make up for this rather than coming up with a figure (or other benefit like free servicing) yourself.