I was subjected to a road rage incident, but the other party

I was subjected to a road rage incident, but the other party has complained to the police who have asked my insurance company to pass on a request that i contact them. Do i have to?

I feel i was the victim after nearly being run off the road and verbally abused and gesticulated at, which incensed me to get out of my car to confront the other individual. After seeing he was a middle aged man, i just got back in my car and drove off without further incident.

Do i legally have to contact the police, when all they have done is contact my insurance company to request that i speak to them.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

When did this happen please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2 days ago.

The simple answer is the you do not have to contact the police. Nobody can force you to do that.

However, if you do not then they will just come and arrest you probably on a day and about 6 o'clock when you have other plans. They will also take your prints and DNA and photographs and it will be subject to a speculative search against the database.

Now, if you contact them it might be that you are arrested and forensics taken from you anyway but most likely they would allow you to come in voluntarily and you have better rights at a police station as a volunteer than a detained person. In any event, at least you could do it at a time of mutual convenience rather than a time of the choosing of the police.

If the police are looking for you then it's never a good idea to refuse to engage safe and very limited circumstances that are not relevant here.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information and the practical reality is that if you don't comply they will just arrest you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks - very clear and concise.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Experience: Over 5 years in practice