UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

9 years ago we bought ⅛ acre beside our home from our local

Customer Question

9 years ago we bought ⅛ acre beside our home from our local council, 1 condition of price was that we would not build on it. now 9 years later we need to extend our home and use this piece of land for the extension. Is there any way we can build on this piece of land,? what legalities do we need to do, so we can build on it Please
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Is there any restrictive covenant in the deeds against building?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what you mean?

Have you got a separate title for the 1/8 acre which you purchased from the council? If so, what does the title say about restrictions on building, or does it not say anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a separate deed for this extra piece of land, and it say for recreational use only

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have a separate deed document for this extra piece of pan, with covering letter stating that its for recreational use only

I am afraid you woud need to apply for change of use of the land from recreational to dwelling in that case and your local authority needs to approve it to allow you to build your extension on it.

You need to make a formal planning application for change of use and I suggest that you appoint a planning expert to assist you with the application.

Can I assist further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you I have another small question, I am at present with my mum's consent transferring the title deed to her house from my late fathers name, Grant of probate costing €2500.00 is this a reasonable figure?

Probate legal fees for property are roughly about 0.75% of the value of the property.

All the best