13262538

My wife has dementia and is in hospital with Delirium. It is

My wife has dementia and is in hospital with Delirium. It is likely that she soon will be moved to a nursing home or a care home. If the latter, will our house, which is let to tenants at the moment, have to be sold to pay for care home fees?. We,at present live in a rented flat
Will your Wife need full nursing (as opposed to social) care?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has acute nursing needs, bathing, dressing,feeding, dual incontinence. Waiting to see Consultant on Monday. She recognises me, just about but her speech is nonsense,

Hope this helps,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has acute nursing needs. Medication, bathing/dressing, she is doubly incontinent, help with eating & drinking.

I am seeing Consultant on Monday.

If she needs Nursing Care then you should not have to pay the fees at all
However in the unlikely event that fees are payable the yes I am afraid that her share of the house will be counted as part of the assets since you are not living there
I am sorry to give you bad news
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Clare,

Oh dear. That is bad news. Will be giving the tenants notice tomorrow.

Only hope that my wife's present hospital stay is long enough and that she WILL be given nursing care rather then care home.

Anyway thank you for that advice

Best wishes

David

PS. Will I still be able to move into the half of our home or will the house have to be sold off, leaving me with half the homes value?

Do not rush to give them notice - the assessment may be a long way off and you WILL be given time to sell - so there is no rush
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for you advice.

Trouble is, the flat tenancy ends April 2015 and was intending a leasurely year, having a cull and moving back into our own house.

This nursing or care assessment is rather crucial to my future.

If the latter, I have no choice but to give my tenants notice, look after my wife in the flat until tenants move out. And then ask for care home help. Otherwise I'll be homeless.

David

Ah I see
I hope all goes well