UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Good afternoon, My daughter was married to a Turkish citizen,

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
My daughter was married to a Turkish citizen, who left her the day he recieved his indefinite leave to remain. She divorced him, and has recieved her decree nisi through the UK Courts of Law.

The problem she now has is that she keeps getting a summons of some sort from Turkish Law Courts (it in Turkish so we cant read it), and she has been summoned to appear in court their. She will not go as she is afraid to set foot in Turkey, and she cannot afford to go either. He ex husband has told her that she is not legally divorced until she appears there. Is this true, and does she have to go there?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, as he is a Turkish national, a divorce suit also needs to be filed in Turkey. However, she does not need to go there personally and she may issue a power of attorney to a local Turkish solicitor to handle the divorce suit for her.

I suggest she contacts the Turkish consulate in London for further assistance, see here

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/marriage_divorce.asp?PageID=4

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
HiMy Colleague is correct in that she is not divorced in Turkey - but for clarity Your daughter IS legally divorced in every country EXCEPT TurkeyShe need only take action on the Turkish divorce if she wishes to return there in the futureclare