12826847

My elderly neighbour wishes to replace her mobility scooter

Customer Question

My elderly neighbour wishes to replace her mobility scooter with one that will not go through her front door and has applied for planning permission to put a wooden garden shed in her front garden to house this larger scooter. Because of the layout, this would effectively be in front of my house. Normally sheds would not be allowed forward of the principal elevation of a house, but I wonder if exceptions have to made in these circumstances. I have been unable to find any guidance regarding exceptions on the government website. I would appreciate your view as, although I am aware of disability legislation in respect of public buildings, it is not clear if this applies in a domestic setting.
Margaret
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Do you wish to object to the application?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have made an objection based on proximity and there being alternatives not fully explored. The shed is 2mx2mx2.5m and will be less than 1m from my front garden path. It has been suggested by the planning office that an eception may be able to be made because it is to house a mobility scooter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have objected on grounds of visual impact, proximity to my front garden path and precedent. Shed is 2mx2mx2.5m. Are exceptions made to house mobility scooters

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have replied twice - what`s happening here?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No information so far. I would like to know if there are exceptions to planning law regarding outbuildings in front of principal elevation of dwelling houses.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please see previous responses. You have not given any information - only asked a question which I have answered.