tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Re: contract law or franchise agreement law As a franchisor,

Re: contract law or franchise agreement law

As a franchisor, I was paid £6,000 as a deposit on our franchise package, back in December 2013.

I went back and forth with the potential franchisee, to agree the terms of our franchise contract, which were agreed via email and pdf docs. The contract was NOT signed, but the franchisee agreed (via email) to make payment of balance of franchise fee (£14k) in January 2014 - which has not been paid.

They are now demanding the return of the deposit of £6k.

On what legal grounds can I keep the deposit? Or at least deduct (substantial) expenses and costs?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can answer this for you.

tdlawyer :

You can keep the deposit once you have a legally binding agreement in place. You don't necessary need to sign a written contract to have a binding agreement.

tdlawyer :

If you have agreement in emails that you have an agreement, then it doesn't necessarily need to be signed at all. This would be as good as having a signed agreement.

tdlawyer :

It has to be clear though that you both intended to enter into the agreement on the terms of the agreed document.

Customer:

So they paid a deposit of £6k, with a commitment (by email) to pay the balance of £14k in Jan. Is that considered legally binding?

tdlawyer :

Well, it sounds like it to me.

tdlawyer :

It's sensible to have the email trail reviewed by a solicitor if you're thinking of suing for the £14k balance, but otherwise, it'll be a small claims matter if he sued to recover the £6k. Hence, the point is that the loser does not pay legal costs, so no point in incurring legal costs for small claims if you can avoid it as they're effectively wasted costs because you can't recover them.

Customer:

I'm unlikely to pursue the 14k. But I don't want to return any of the 6k.

Customer:

Are there specific points of contract law that I can quote?

Customer:

Currently, they have appointed solicitors to attempt to get a refund

tdlawyer :

Nothing specific, no. It's simply a case of there being an agreement, which you have to interpret from the emails themselves.

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question for you?

Customer:

Final point - do I need to have disclosed (in advance) that the deposit is NOT refundable? Or is it a simple matter that he 'reneged' on the agreement, by not paying the balance, hence deposit is forfeited, etc?

tdlawyer :

If you agree it's not refundable, then brilliant, that makes it clear. But where you don't say, then there assumption is that it's not refundable, because you haven't agreed that it will be reunded.

Customer:

OK, that answers the questions. Very helpful, thanks. Bye.

tdlawyer :

Thank you! Have a good weekend.