13262538

I am Executor to a Catholic priest who died on 21st March leaving

Customer Question

I am Executor to a Catholic priest who died on 21st March leaving a large estate (house is on the market) which he inherited. Total I would estimate at around £500,000, maybe more. The Will is simple in that he has left almost everything to 4 charities with a total of £8,000 to a nephew, niece and friends, £1,000 each. I am doing the work, including applying for probate, myself so may need advice/help from time to time. What I need to know now is: when do I send a copy of the Will to the beneficiaries and what do I write in the letter enclosing the Will? Thanks Sue Oakley

I will do my best to help you
In fact no one other than you is actually entitled to a copy of the Will until Probate has been granted and you are ready to distribute the estate
however it is certainly polite to right to all the Residuary beneficiaries as soon as you wish to confirm that they are going to receive funds
It need only be a simple letter confirming that you are the Executor and that they will be receiving a share of the estate.
Send them a full copy of the Will
They will certainly contact you and will no doubt ask for regular updates.
they are entitled to copies of the final Estate Accounts
With the other beneficiaries it is your choice whether or not to send them a full copy of the Will or just a copy of the bequest that refers to them (although there is no reason NOT To send the whole Will and I would usually do so)
You should ask them to confirm their current addresses - and the identity if you do not know them personally
You should also protect yourself and publish what are called the "Statutory Notices" which are described here
http://www.bllaw.co.uk/PDF/PRI_0808_Statutory%20notices.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is most helpful. Could you just tell me who the " Residuary beneficiaries" are as opposed to the "other beneficiaries?" There are 4 charities receiving most of the estate, then 1 nephew, 1 neice, myself as sole executor, and 5 friends .. but none of these receiving more than £2,000 each.

Sue

The Residuary beneficiaries are the ones who share what is left after the Specific Gifts are given - so in the case I would suspect the Charities that you refer to!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's great. Thank you for your time and expertise. If I need help at a later stage in the process can I ask for you specifically?

Sue

You can indeed ask for me at any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I did leave you feedback and a rating. But if it was not received I
am happy to re-do it. Thank you for your help and I will call on you again
when I need to.

Thank you very much safely received