Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

morning, my daughter is being emotionally bullied in school,

morning, my daughter is being emotionally bullied in school, i have been to the school on several occasions and they are trying to deal with it, my problem is that now the other girls mother has started, she is saying that i have threatened her daughter, which is totally untrue,she has sent the police to my house, who i must say were wonderful and thankfully i think they believed me, but now she has phoned my works ( i work as a staff nurse) she told the sister i had been threatening her daughter and then wanted it taken further and it was reported to the matron, fortunately they again believed me, my worry is how do i stop her i am so scared of what this women will do next how do i stop her making these false allegations? the police have said i can do nothing as people are allowed to say what they want, surely this cant be true, how can it be allowed that she can ruin my reputation, any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX and I'm happy to help with your question today

The police are wrong to say there is nothing you can do. The lady in question is pursuing a course of conduct which is clearly causing you some distress as a result of her false allegations. This behaviour amounts to harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and is, therefore, a criminal offence. You should press the police to warn her from continuing this behaviour - if she continues she could be prosecuted and/or you could obtain a civil injunction and claim damages against her. This is the quickest and easiest way of dealing with this problem. The alternative, depending on what she's actually said is to sue her for defamation in the High Court but that's an expensive and time consuming procedure. In either case you can also ask a solicitor to write a letter on your behalf informing her that she must desist or face legal action - that shoukd being the matter to an end.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hi Julie

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes