12826847

Hi I am one of 5 freeholders in a large house. When I bought

Customer Question

Hi I am one of 5 freeholders in a large house. When I bought the property almost 2 years ago I was told by Mr Turner the then owner that all freeholders acted as directors, hence took joint decisions and presumably then attended meetings together and decided together on issues regarding the property and it s repairs. The lower ground, flat 1, is owned and inhabited by an older lady and the son is legally assigned to make decisions but as I understand it cannot be a director if the company as he is not a leaseholder. The 2 top flats rent their properties on holiday lets they never live there, the lady above me sold few months ago. We have a management agent we pay who was employed before I arrive. The problem is that they all get together 3/4 of the freeholders and make decisions on major repairs without informing or consulting with me! They say they can do so because they are directors, inc flat 1 s son, yet one of them has admitted to me that we are all directors as my lawyer had also done. It is becoming dangerous and impossible as people go in and out on holiday lets we never know when who they are. The lease does not provide for this without consent of freeholder but they are in charge of course I do not have any say although am they only one who actually lives there. ...... Can they do this?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Is this a company limited by guarantee and if so are you member?

AJ