12826847

Hi, I sold my place and moved in to my girlfriends house 3

I sold my place and moved in to my girlfriends house 3 years ago.
I pay half of all the bills and have contributed half to new boiler, dish washer, washing machine and oven.
We are now splitting up and I need to find another dwelling.
If she decides I have to move out in a week...where do I stand?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you considering claiming anything financial from her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Jo,

I am not sure yet...I did give her £3000 which was half for the boiler and the rest was going towards new carpets so I should see that £1500. I just want time to get a new place and clear stuff I have in the house thats mine.

You are a guest in the house and she is entitled to ask you to leave on reasonable notice and even lock you out provided she gives you all your stuff back. The maximum you could hope for would be one months notice but she would be entitled to ask you to leave on one week.

Unless you gave them as gifts, the dishwasher and washing machine belong to you provided they are not built-in.

Anything which is attached to the house such as a boiler or any built-in appliance such as an oven is now part of the building and belongs to her.

You may have a financial claim in respect of contributions you have made to the house such as any appliances or things which are now part of the building which were over and above the consumption of utilities.

Unless she agrees to pay up, the cost of arguing is going to be more than the amount of money that you are arguing over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Jo

The appliances were all paid, half each. I do not want them but just some finances. We are still friends and all is ammicable at present.

I just needed to know where I stand as in moving out and you have answered that. I presume because its her house and my name isnt on the mortgage I have no say even though I contribute to everything else?

She has total control of whether you move in or move out.

You may have a financial claim against the property or the contents although it is not going to be particularly substantial.

If your name was on the mortgage, it would not matter what each of you put in over the period, you would be entitled to 50%.

Even if your name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage, you may be entitled to a percentage of the house depending on what you actually contributed to the fabric of the house
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry....fabric of the house? You mean decorating , added work to the house such as extensions etc..?

Yes. Physical and financial contributions