12826847

I am renting property off my mother . I also had my stabled

Customer Question

I am renting property off my mother . I also had my hoer stabled and grazed which obviously came with me . My mum apparently has sold the land , with stable on it to my sister . My sister wanted rent for horse , merely a piece of notepaper pushed thru my letterbox . As the payment was a week late she subsequently returned the money along with another letter saying that as we didn't pay earlier she took it we were not interested and she now had someone else and we now have 2 weeks to make other arrangements for my horse . No one has actually come to me and told me of change of ownership of land and I am still renting the cottage . The time up for me is 21 April , do I have to go on the day or should I have more time and as I paid albeit a week late was she right in returning the money and tell us to get off . I would be very grateful for any help you can give .

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What I need to know is , has she informed me correctly that she now owns the land as my mum has owned the land for 50 years . No one has physically , face to face or shown me a bill of sale or ownership papers. I've no doubt my sister does now own the land but has she notified me correctly and is she in her right to throw me off the land because I was a week late . I'd posted the cash . £80 thru her letterbox as requested only to have it returned 3 days later. I have lived here since June 2011 along with my horse and have the rental agreement with my mother since March 2012 .

If you are living in the house, she cannot evict you without a court order.

The process she needs to follow depends on the type of tenancy agreement that you have. However whether you have an assured short hold tenancy or simply pay rent to your mother, she cannot get you out without going to court.

The situation with regard to the paddock is different and with that, once you are two weeks late paying rent, she can just lock you out.

I suggest that you see a solicitor who deals with the landlord and tenant matters who can write to your sister telling her that she cannot do this and that if she wants to get you off the property, she is going to have to follow the correct process

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo ,
Please can you tell me where I stand on the parking situation . We rent the house off my mother but as my sister has bought the land including the parking area are we still within our rights to park as we have always parked . We have been told that the original agreement should still be honoured as my sister should have done a search when buying the land which shows that we parked on the parking area . As the lane off the land is almost 300 yards long before you get to moorland it is totally unreasonable to expect us to park outside the property gates .
Please bear with me. I'm just travelling at the moment but I will respond as soon as I am able to.

Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jo ,
Do u need more information , if so , what other information can I give you ?
Elaine
Sorry for the delay.

Provided parking is part of the original agreement, then you can continue to park.

So, provided as you say, a search would show that you parked on the land, you can continue to do so.