Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hi Long story, I separated from my wife for 3 months last

Long story, I separated from my wife for 3 months last year, we both bought separate houses after I gave her £110000, from the equity, I had £45000, as I wanted to hold on to my pension.
However the good news is that we are back together, but the bad news is that her mum and partner are dead against us getting back together. Today I have received a bill for £2250 from her mums partner, for gardening work on our previous house, he is not a professional gardener, and he carried out this work voluntarily, I never wanted him there, and now he has billed me for £2250, where do I stand please?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. You cannot unilaterally create or enforce on a contractual term on someone if they did not agree to it. If it was always understood the work was to be done for free then he cannot now turn around and demand money. It is actually a criminal offence to demand money from some one that does not owe it under S,40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. I would tell him if he does not stop the demands for money you will report the matter to the police. This wont go to court (or if it does it would be absurd) as he has no proof of a contract. Can I assist any further? Kind regards AJ

Customer: Fantastic, thank you
Alex J. :

No problem. I wish you the best of luck, any feedback is gratefully received. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist any further. Kind regards AJ

Alex J. :

Kind regards AJ