Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have lived in my house for 49 years since it was built. I

I have lived in my house for 49 years since it was built. I don't no were the deeds are how do I get a copy the property is on leased land
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

So that I can answer you fully, are you sure that the Solicitors who acted for you in the purchase were looking after your Deeds? Did you not have a Mortgage?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi al

yes we did have a mortgage but I don't no who it was with we payed the mortgage of in the 70s .my late husband deal with all the finances so I don n were to start

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, you do really need to try and find out who you had your Mortgage with-although you paid it off years ago, there are some Banks who will still hold on to customers Deeds.

Failing any luck with this, have you ever been to see a Solicitor since you have paid off the Mortgage? eg you may have made your Wills and you may have deposited your Deeds with him for safe storage.

If you are unable to locate your Deeds, not all is lost. You are entitled to apply to the Land Registry to register your ownership based on the fact that your Deeds have been lost. A local Conveyancing Solicitor will be able to assist you with this and will entail you making a statement that the Deeds have been lost and you providing evidence that you own and live in the property (eg old Bills/Council tax statements/any old letters you may be able to find proving your ownership). Your Solicitor will also be able to apply to your Freeholder for a copy of your Lease, as they will be holding the counterpart Lease.

I hope this points you in the direction to go.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL