13262538

My estranged husband has taken away both sets of car keys so

Customer Question

My estranged husband has taken away both sets of car keys so I cannot use it. The registration document is in my name but the insurance is in his. The car was bought with joint money.is he allowed to do this?
How much is the car worth; where is the car now, and are there any children involved?
How far have divorce proceedings reached?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car is probably worth, at a guess, around £5k? It's a 57 reg BMW. The car has been left here on the drive. I have a son living at home but he is 35 so not dependent. The divorce proceedings haven't started yet. I have only today made an appt to see a solicitor but not until 24th as I was unable to guarantee I would have the transport to attend. Not sure it will. Are any difference but he has left me the spare key for a company van to use BUT as he has the other key there is no knowing when he us likely to just fake that away as well
Can you arrange your own insurance for the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. I have always been a named driver on the insurance in the past. Not sure why this has any relevance though but I'm sure you will tell me
The Car is a joint matrimonial asset and you both have the right to use it
However if you wish to take action on this you will have to start Divorce Proceedings and within those apply for the Financial issues to be dealt with
You are entitled to get a specialist to come and replace the keys so that you can use the car - but that would be a problem if he cancelled the insurance on you (it has happened!)
Another option would be to try and negotiate matters with your ex using Family Mediation 9www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details