Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I had an ex partner who passed 2 years ago his younger sister

Customer Question

I had an ex partner who passed 2 years ago his younger sister was ex to the will apparently I was left 10 per cent of the estate although I have never heard a will read and although I don't want to appear greedy I don't think what im getting is right also his two brothers and other sister are supposed to get 10 percent my son is supposed to get 20 per cent and the sister who is ex gets 40 per cent he owned a 2 bed 1930s house worth lets say 190 thousand although I suspect more an apartment in the south of france I believe sold for about 69 thousand and a studio apartment which has just been sold I know that app in the will the sister was allowed to live in the house as long as she wished but that dosnt make it hers now I have found out that she actually owns the house as it needed a lot of work I know to be true I was told that they wouldn't do all the work if she didn't there was 30 thousand outstanding mortgage on the studio but that is all is there any way I can find out information I don't want to fall out with the sister can I find anything out anon how can I find the solicitor he must of agreed to put the house in her name so she owned it can he just do that what I think was supposed to happen was she lived in it when it was sold we all got our share I don't want a legal battle or a falling out after all she didn't have to tell me at all isn't the will supposed to be read in others presence and how is a solicitor allowed to change everything into her name legally is he not doing his job proply i don't know the solicitor or any info but she is about to transfer money into my account but she has done it all my son has received 10 thousand last year i am app supposed to be reciving about 9 thousand in the next few days if i rec 9 thousand and my son 10 thousand surly per centage isn't right and how can she just gain a 200 thound pound house its all been done by her and i think im being fiddled but the solicitor is maybe at fault to and i do not want to push as it is not all about money i just want to understand how this can happen
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your partner.

Joshua :

May I ask how long you were together with your partner before his passing? Were you living together prior to his death?

Joshua :

Does the amount left to you in your partners will (notwithstanding that you have not yet received anything) adequately provide for you in respect of the lifestyle you were accustomed to during your partners life?

Joshua :

Would you like to continue?