12826847

I have just received a notice of intent to prosecute for a

I have just received a notice of intent to prosecute for a speeding offence, to which I gave yet to reply.
However I am emigrating in a weeks time. How should I proceed as I will have left the country before I receive a reply regarding proceedings?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What was the speed and what was the limit please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was travelling at 97mph in a 70mph non motorway zone.

How long have you been driving for and do you have any other points please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been driving for 25 years and have a clean license, my question is more to do with not being in the country when things progress. What would happen if court proceedings were to occur? If I am not in the country how can I know how things are progressing? would the courts think I am ignoring them?

Not necessarily.

You will be on a summons not on bail so not attending is not an offence. You can plead guilty by post to an offence of this kind. Obviously you will need to keep tabs on your post in the UK to do that but that is a perfectly acceptable means of dealing with this.

If you don't plead by post though then they would hear the case in absence and probably convict you. For 97 mph in a 70 mph zone you are facing 4-6 points or a ban of between 7 -28 days but the risk is costs. You will face a fine of between 125-175% of your weekly income anyway but if they try and convict you in absence then you will be facing around £400-£500 in costs.