Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

WE fell behind on council tax bill never got a court notice

Customer Question

WE fell behind on council tax bill never got a court notice but only a bailliff came in and demanded the money, we paid some but he want's the lot which we don't have yet and wont do a payment arrangement.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

What would you like to know about this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there anything i can do to make payment arrangements i don't have the money.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
There is no obligation unfortunately on a bailiff to accept a payment plan but if you are on a low income e.g. benefits, or vulnerable, then they should, at least, speak to the council to see whether a payment plan is acceptable.

The primary purpose of a bailiff is to recover the debt, including their fees for attending. Once they have their money they won't bother you further. This does mean their objective is to get the money as quickly as possible.

I appreciate this is not the answer you want to hear but generally by the time the bailiffs attend there would have been opportunities to make an arrangement with the council.