tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Please help, I received a caution 25 years ago, I was 14 years

Customer Question

Please help, I received a caution 25 years ago, I was 14 years old and was never in trouble before this and haven't been in trouble since. I don't want this to ruin my life what can I do?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name is Tony, I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Why do you think this will ruin your life?

JACUSTOMER-ljqebpjv- :

I have been asked to visit America and have never been required to mention this to my employer.

tdlawyer :

Are you concerned about not being admitted to the country?

JACUSTOMER-ljqebpjv- :

Yes,

tdlawyer :

What was the caution for?

JACUSTOMER-ljqebpjv- :

Please don't jump to conclusions. I was 14 and asked to babysit for a friend. I was very naive at the time and was accused of exposing myself. I simply went to the toilet. I was questioned by police and explained this as best I could. Im not even sure I was charged with anything it was all very embarrassing and I feel sick just typing this now.

tdlawyer :

Okay. For the record, I make no judgements or draw conclusions. In essence, you would technically have to disclose this on the ESTA site when seeking pre-clearance to enter the USA. It does seem like it could be considered a matter of "moral turpitude" which is something you can be declined for.

tdlawyer :

You have to reveal it under their procedures as they do not have access to the criminal/police computer systems automatically in the UK.

tdlawyer :

It might be that since it was so long ago it will not be an issue now, especially if you're otherwise clear of convictions etc., but it is a risk. At least you will know immediately following the ESTA declaration.

JACUSTOMER-ljqebpjv- :

Does this mean if I don't declare it they won't know? I have never disclosed this information to anyone and don't want to be judged. I'm worried if I declare and am refused I may be sacked.

tdlawyer :

Yes, I expect that is what it means in fairness. But if you fail to disclose it and they somehow find out later, you might be refused entry in the future.

tdlawyer :

Did your employer ask about cautions/convictions at the time you were taken on?

JACUSTOMER-ljqebpjv- :

Thank you for your answer. I'm extremely embarrassed and would rather not tell anyone.

tdlawyer :

That's your decision, and only you can decide what to do. But, at least you know where you stand on this now.

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question this evening or can I answer anything else about it for you?

tdlawyer :

Can I ask whether you're happy with the service this evening please? If you need me to clarify anything for you, I will do that, so just let me know.