UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My husband and I hold UK passport holder and we live in Singapore. My

My husband and I hold UK passport holder and we live in Singapore.
My son is 16. He holds UK passport and he studies in UK in a boarding school in year 10.
My son stays in the apartment we own in London for his long holidays, and works part-time during weekends and term breaks for a UK company to set up website and arrange web maintenance, receiving average GDP 160.00/week.
Would my son be qualified to pay home-fees when he enters university three and a half years later (not staying in UK only/mainly for the purpose of long-term education), with the issue that his parents are not living in UK during the 3 years prior to his entry to univerisity?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

Kindly help me search for the answer. I will wait for your reply.

Wish you a nice Easter holiday.

Best regards,

Adelina

Hello Adelina,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Nicola,

I am waiting for your answer. Please help me keep searching.

Best regards,

Adelina

Hello Adelina,

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

Yes, your son appears to qualify for home fee status as he is a UK national and will have lived in the UK for at least 3 years prior to him starting university and provided that he will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of his course.

It does not matter that his parents are not living with him in the UK and the fact that he is working part time helps show that he is not here simply for education but because it is his right as a UK national to live and work in the UK without any restriction.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This question is for UKSolicitorJA only:

Dear sir,

There are 3 more questions I would like to get your opinion:

1) Do you see any use if my husband and I spend time to come to UK to visit my son during his term breaks / summer holidays? Roughly how long should we stay in UK in a year?

2) Would you suggest what part-time income level my son should have, in order to justify that he stays in UK not only for the purpose of studying? When I mentioned that his average part-time income is GDP160/week (GDP 8,320/year), it already considered that he would earn less during the school term, and earn more during the term breaks when he can dedicate more work hours.

3) If we want to buy a small apartment for my son (now 16 years 4 months old), can we hold the property in-trust for him, and then transfer to him when he is 18? Would that lead to high legal fees or what suggestion would you offer to us?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Adelina

Dear Adelina,

Please post a new question with your additional queries and ask for me only to answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To UKSolicitorJA,

do you mean that I do not continue my question in this link, and start a new question? If I just post that 3pointa in the email, would you be able to refer to my details in previous email?

best rgds.,

adelina