tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hello, its a long story but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that npower

Customer Question

Hello, it's a long story but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that npower have put entries on my credit file because of a debt on the account that came about because their computer system had problems. i have been writing, emailing and phoning them over a course of months. i have recordings of conversations and they have admitted it is their fault. They are in such a mess that is impossible to sort this out. My credit history has suffered, I cannot get a mortgage because my credit score is so low as a result. It seems a small claims summons will get them into court to discuss and settle. Any idea of a better approach or a solicitor that can do this on my behalf please? This is a huge problem. Surely it's a form of defmation of character? And surely the publisher (Experian) also are responsible as they are the publisher. Help! thank you
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Yes, this is a form of defamation of character.

tdlawyer :

The courts have repeatedly recognised that a man's credit file, particularly in this day and age, is of considerable importance to him.

tdlawyer :

They are held, on numerous occasions, that inaccurate reporting is actionable on the part of the credit file owner.

tdlawyer :

You have a number of options about how to address this.

tdlawyer :

You could make a formal complaint to the energy ombudsman, having exhausted Npower's dispute resolution procedures.

tdlawyer :

This is not necessarily the quickest way of resolving the matter, but it is perhaps the easiest, as the ombudsman will do a lot of the investigation work for you.

tdlawyer :

Alternatively, you could issue proceedings against Npower in the County Court, seeking compensation and a declaration that you are on the right, and that they were wrong to report in the way that they did on your credit file.

tdlawyer :

The court is probably quicker than the ombudsman at this time.

tdlawyer :

However, if you pursue this through the ombudsman, you would effectively have two chances of getting this put right and obtaining compensation. If the ombudsman ruled against you (from what you have said, I cannot see that he would) then you could try again in the County Court. If you issue proceedings at court, you will not be able to use the ombudsman.

tdlawyer :

Are you there?