12826847

I have a joint bank account with my wife and until recently

Customer Question

I have a joint bank account with my wife and until recently she has done all the banking/bills.She has now been diagnosed with dementia and i have taken over the banking. I had one or two shocks when i started to check on things:-there were bills unpaid which i have now been able to sort out and get into a better position financially. We have a joint current account but she has taken out a credit card a/c with the bank in her name only and she owes almost 3000gbp. My question today is:- Am i responsible for the payment of these dues even though it is in her name?.Can i use her dementia as a reason for non payment. Best regards Stuart 

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

I am sorry to hear of your wife's condition. May I ask if you have any form of power of attorney for your wife please, either enduring or lasting powers?

Joshua :

Would you like to continue?