UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Good morning, i recently made a car insurance claim but only

Good morning, i recently made a car insurance claim but only go offered 83% of the total that the car was worth. The reason for this is not declaring 3 points on my license upon renewal (some 2-3 months previous). However the renewal was automatic, no forms were filled in and no questions asked. The 17% difference is the % difference between what i paid for my car insurance and what i should have paid had they known of my 3 points.
I cant help but feel aggreived as i dont remember receiving any paper work/phone calls etc about the renewal and the total (17%) not received is nearly £1000. That surely is not proportionate to the £22 difference to what i have been paying and what i should have paid in terms of my renewal.

Can you help?

Jamie
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

This is typical insurance company behaviour.

You should lodge an official complaint with the insurer about this issue as what they have deducted is grossly disproportionate to what you would have paid if given the opportunity to declare. However, you are probably obliged to,have notified the insurance company of your points whether or not you were renewing the policy with them.

If you do not get any joy with the complaints procedure, you may take the matter further to the Financial Ombudsman Service, they have the power to ask the insurer to pay up if they think the insurance company is not acting reasonably or is not authorised to make the deduction

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm

Hope this helps