UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hello, I paid a deposit to attend an small privte event

I paid a deposit to attend an small privte event a year ago. I now can't attend the event and am quite willing to forego the deposit but the organiser is asking for the full amount because I cancelled at short notice. They apparently added a clause to the event itiniarary stating that if anyone cancelled after 4 weeks before the event they would have to pay in full. I did not see this clause until I was referred to it by the organiser when I cancelled. This is an event organised on Facebook and would like to know if the clause is legally binding and whether or not I have to pay the full amount.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Was this particular clause there when you entered into the contract I.e. Booked the event and paid the deposit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apparently it was put on Facebook event page the day before I paid my deposit but I didn't see it.

Should this person not have taken out an event insurance to cover themselves for loss due to cancellation?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no reminder to anyone that the 4 week cut off was close either.

Also, I did not receive a receipt for the deposit. It was made by bank transfer which shows up in my bank account.

I am afraid it is their personal choice whether or not to have taken out event insurance.

I would advise that you try and negotiate with them a settlement that you are both mutually agreeable to as otherwise the matter will be decided by the courts if litigated upon and if the clause was there before you paid the deposit, you are in a very weak position I am afraid as it is your duty to have checked what you were signing up to.

To answer your original question, I am afraid the clause appears to be legally binding and you would have to pay the full amount. You may try and find someone else who may be able to attend the event and sell them your ticket if the organiser permits this.

Sorry, but I have a duty to answer you truthfully and not give you false hope based on incorrect advice.